CALL FOR APPLICATIONS Documentary Filmmaking workshop in Uzbekistan
ATELIERS VARAN IN TASHKENT 2023
Organization: Ateliers Varan, in partnership with Tashkent Filmschool and local partners
Support: French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
During this 6-week intensive workshop, 10 participants will learn to master the basics of documentary filmmaking and take the first steps towards becoming independent documentary filmmakers. After a short period of time dedicated to learning about the technical aspects of filmmaking, analyzing reference films, scouting locations and writing scripts, each participant will start filming their own short documentary, on a common topic. Rushes will be watched and discussed collectively after every shooting session. After 4 weeks, all 10 projects will be edited by professional film editors, in direct relation with the directors: the editing period will provide insights into the critical relationship between the director and the editor.
- Anyone who wants to gain initial experience in documentary filmmaking, or who wants to renew or reconsider their approach in making documentaries.
- No experience required: knowledge of filmmaking techniques is not necessary.
- Citizens of the following countries: Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan
- 18 years old or more, with a passport if living outside Uzbekistan
- Working languages of the workshop: English, French and local. Knowledge of the English language is mandatory.
- The workshop is free: accommodation, food, transportation and equipment are covered by the project partners. If you live in Tashkent, accommodation will not be covered.
WORKSHOP LOCATION & DATES
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Dates: From September 4, 2023 to October 14, 2023
The workshop will require full availability and commitment from each and every candidate between these dates, including during the weekend.
HOW TO APPLY
Send the following material to all emails addresses below:
- A short text explaining your motivation. Please address us directly and stay away from the traditional form of cover letters: write freely.
- A biography (2 pages maximum), free form and content
- A one-page essay, with or without a picture, on one of the following topics:
- “Description of a place”
- “A moment of my life”
- “My neighbors”
- Complete the administrative form located here.
All material must be in English.
Please send your complete application and contact details to the all following email addresses:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO: July 23, 2023
Interviews will be scheduled with pre-selected candidates, shortly after the application deadline. The discussion will happen via a meeting app online.
The final selection of 10 participants will be announced a few days after the end of the interview period.